In a country like Nigeria that has the highest number of poor people, it’s extensively required that, a politician who aims at becoming a good leader should be extremely hardworking and committed. As a politician in Nigeria, in order to maintain your followership, you have to go extra mile to work hard in order to please them.
In this article, I want to outline 10 things a politician should do to be a good leader:
- Pay Attention To Your Peoples’ Needs: As a politician, you may not be able to cater for everything your followers/supporters ask for but you can always do the part you can. Also, your political people referred to in this article might be your constituents, followers, supporters or your subjects. These people have their needs and it is expected that while dealing with them, you also try to figure out their challenges so as to be able to fix it for them.
- Pick Their Phone Calls: It is generally understood that, there are some people who don’t really like picking all the phone calls that come into their phones and it is also understood that, there are people who pick their phone calls even in the midnight. Therefore, as a politician in Nigeria, it is expected that, you pick your phone calls as much as you can because your constituents will like to call you for one reason or the other and people you have never met or know before will get your phone numbers where you do not know and call you. At this point, picking phone calls will not only base on those you know and have their contact names on your phone, but calls of those you donot know also matters.
- Visit Your People: Your visit to your people from grassroots is very important. This visit must be done as frequent as possible. When a politician visits his/her people and the people see their leader, they feel carried along and have sense of belonging.
- Be Sincere In Your Promises To Them: As a politician, you donot need to promise your people what you know you would not be able to do. In fact, doing that makes you look stupid to them because when once they start using that as a yardstick against you, you are gone. While others are focusing on making plenty of promises and fail to fulfill them, focus on promising what you can fulfill. Even if it is one thing you know you can do, just do it and save your name from embarrassment. Is better than promising with many things and fail. With this, you have saved your reputation.
- Have a Political Mentor: A mentor serves for many purposes. People have mentors for different reasons and a political mentor should not be underrated as it is very pertinent. A political mentor will tell you what to do and how to do it. He/she will guide you while you climb the political ladder. Learn the positive parts of your mentor and shun the negative side since it is believed that, a politician has many flaws.
- Be Humble: Nobody knows it all and nobody has a monopoly of knowledge. As a leader, everybody you come in contact with counts. Do not look down on anybody because people may use that singular weakpoint to rubbish your further political aspirations. Listen to your people to hear what they will say about you whether it is positive or not and if it is negative, try to work to correct it.
- Buy Into New Ideas: As a leader in politics, many people will come around with different and new ideas. You do not sweep those ideas under the carpet because some of them really count. Say yes to them and choose the ones you want to utilize.
- Have a Coordinated Family: As a leader, if your family which is your first point of contact is not organized, you are likely to fail. Your immediate family affects how you do things in public. When your immediate family is not organized to the point of praying for you when you are out there to lead the people, advises and correct you when necessary, your leadership is at stake. A good family fosters and encourages a man to do better on whatever he engages himself on.
- Pray: As a leader, God should be your sole companion. By this, you are to take your spiritual life serious as many temptations are bound to surface. Without God and the acknowledgment of him, no leader can succeed hence, putting God first in whatever you do should not be compromised.
- Do Not Listen To Side Talks