20 Facts About Party Politics
It is imposible to be a politician and not belong in any Political party. Political party is a platform of which one’s political interests are protected. Through party, one can contest election, vote and be voted for. It is in such platform that every politician belong.
Here are the 20 important facts you should know about political party:
- A political party must have a name
- A political party must be registered and approved by Independent Electoral Commission INEC.
- It must have a party Chairman and other executive members.
- Party must sponsor and promote candidate(s) campaign after primaries.
- Party must conduct its primary inline with INEC’s directives.
- Party must ensure all members are registered.
- Members of a party, especially those appointed/elected into different positions are obliged to pay dues to the party every month.
- Party must conduct congresses to elect new executive members after four years.
- Governor of a state or president of a country is the overall leader of a party depending on which party he/she was elected into office.
- Every member of a political party is obliged to be loyal to the leadership of a political party.
- Any member with anti party activities traits is liable to suspension.
- Party is always supreme.
- One man’s interest can not supercede that of the party.
- Party has the right to suspend any member be it a governor, president or any elected member, found wanting or betraying the interest of the party.
- Party starts from the grassroot called, Ward.
- Every member must have a Ward, Unit he/she belongs to.
- Each position has one person to fly the party’s flag.
- Party has three arms namely: Local goverment chapter, State chapter and the national chapter.
- Anybody is free to contest election under any political party.
- The first step of any politician is registration at the Ward level.