By Donald B. Robert
History has seen many great leaders; men and women who shaped the world, beginning from their very immediate community of influence. Their success speaks volumes, usually built by their ability to move fluidly between styles as the situation merits. A systematic study of this premise gives true definition and perhaps succor to the man behind the scene- Hon. (Engr) Iniobong Robson Namso.
Leadership, as much as I know aims at achieving effectiveness and considered to be a particular set of qualities attributed to those who successfully influence the others, and the result is visibly obtained. When these objectives are reviewed within the corridors of laudable performances as witnessed within Esit Eket and its environs, then the only permissible compensation allowed should be enhanced continuation in office; hence, the twenty justifiable and verifiable rationale behind Etebe’s return, and it lists as follows:
- Economic and Infrastructural Development: The construction of basic foundation services, and perhaps the provision of public utilities by Hon. Iniobong’s regime has stimulated the economic growth of Esit Eket in a larger view. For instance, the construction of the ultramodern 2-storey Legislative chamber with offices at the Esit Eket Local Government Council, renovation of all Secondary School Computer laboratories and equipment with computers and provision of staff quarters for secondary school teachers within the area are but a few case study. Indeed, Etebe deserves a second term.
- Youth Empowerment and Political Inclusiveness: As portrayed by Etebe’s led administration, he has maintained a positive outcome where youths as change agents gain necessary skills to impact their own lives, as well as the lives of other individuals. This is distinctively exampled by his numerous skill acquisition trainings both in Engineering, computer and agriculture.
It is however on record that, the present regime of Hon. Iniobong Robson’s led administration has over 70% youth participation. This ranges from his Supervisors to personal Aids; and extends to the Councillors and Party Excos. In a nutshell, the youths who are indeed the leaders of tomorrow are taking over. God bless Hon. Iniobong Robson. Esit Eket is truly blessed to have you.
- Job creation: In his continuous means of eradicating poverty within the area, Etebe has been collaborating with resident companies such as ExxonMobil, Frontier Oil, Savannah Energy etc in providing jobs for indigent, where majority are currently working offshores. He has also personally fixed many in the State Civil service while employing others in personal capacity. Etebe has also given start-up grants to numerous indigent entrepreneurs, while mentoring others in equal capacity. Oh Etebe!
- Security: It is readily witnessed that Esit Eket is the only Local Government so far without any road-mount by security personnel such as the Nigerian Police, yet well secured and enjoy peace like a river. This is made possible through his calculated security strategy which has maintained a peaceful ambience for years and still counting.
- Admission and Scholarships to Students: In the history of Esit Eket, Hon. Robson has given more scholarship than any other. He has also been liaising with many colleges, polytechnics and universities both within and outside the state in securing admission for indigent students with outstanding performance in the UTME. A leader who has the interest of the students at heart is a leader with good foresight, ready to invest in the future of the coming generation. Etebe is student friendly, therefore Etebe is the students’ mandate.
- Peaceful and Approachable Disposition: Ask me for a chairman who is readily accessible, yet humble with listening ears and I’ll show you to Hon. Iniobong Robson. As a matter of fact, his overt display of benevolence and magnanimity even to the opposition party faithfuls has led to the influx of ‘souls’ into the Esit Eket Chapter of the People’s Democratic Party (PDP). Indeed, there wouldn’t have been a better head for the crown.
- Transparency and Accountability: The Executive Chairman of Esit Eket L.G.C., Hon. (Engr) Iniobong Robson has maintained high level of openness and responsiveness while making available valid and timely information on the activities of government within the area. His answerability and blameworthiness is next to none; hence, the unanimous unending echo of his return.
- Industrial and Entrepreneurial Training: In a bid to alleviate poverty within the youth circle, Etebe has trained scores of indigent on a yearly basis. He runs a vocational training in Computer, Engineering, oil and gas such as Rigging, Scaffolding, Industrial welding and fire fighting among others. He has also organised series of entrepreneurial seminars where the youths are trained on cosmetics, detergents, disinfectants and others. By now, you should have gotten a clear understanding as to why Esit Eket people are demanding his return.
- On the account of Integrity: Etebe has acted consistently, not only within the view of present day morals, but also in coherence of principles and values, with a focus on his immediate community of impact (Esit Eket). There is this knowledge I love sharing; once you treat good people right, they become totally loyal and faithful. Etebe has treated us right, so, we as a people are assuring him of our total loyalty at the poll.
- Leadership by example: The most powerful leadership tool you have is your own personal example, and people like Etebe who are always doing their best become a natural leader by example. For a leader like Hon. Iniobong who has never resorted to petition writing or political blackmail should be encouraged and freely given the floor for continuity.
You have done far more than expected, and you’ve made us proud.
Etebe till 2023
(To be continued)
Ami mbre Etebe
I am Donald B. Robert
Friday 24th July, 2020