Defense Chief Say U.S. Has No Plan To Withdraw From Iran

What you need to know
Qassem Soleimani, the head of Iran’s elite Quds military force and one of the most powerful figures in the Islamic Republic, was killed early Friday in an airstrike in Baghdad. Thousands of people have mourned him in both Iraq and Iran.

The secretary of defense pushed back on reports that the military was planning to withdraw from Iraq in response to a resolution passed by the Iraqi Parliament on Sunday.
The non-binding resolution called on the government to expel some 5,000 U.S. troops from the country. President Trump said “we are not leaving unless they pay us back” for an air base in Iraq.
The Iranian government says it will no longer abide by key terms of the 2015 nuclear deal, lifting restrictions on centrifuges, uranium enrichment and more.

President Trump pulled the U.S. out of the deal in 2018.
Mr. Trump says his administration “may discuss” releasing the intelligence that led to the strike on Soleimani.
Mr. Trump tweeted Saturday that the U.S. would target 52 Iranian sites if Iran retaliates for the strike.

The White House sent a formal notification to Congress about the airstrike as required by the War Powers Act.
Lawmakers are divided over the strike, with Republicans applauding Mr. Trump’s action and Democrats warning about the possible repercussions.

admin

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Next Post

APC Publicity Secretary And Others Dump APC For PDP IN Akwa Ibom State

Tue Jan 7 , 2020
It’s a heartrending period for the APC faithfuls in Esit Eket as the immediate past Publicity Secretary of APC, Mr. Michael Alfred who until his defection had been the only one who projected the APC structure in different strata even when the leading party (PDP) released its missiles in several […]