COMMUNIQUE ISSUED AT THE END OF 4TH NATIONAL EXECUTIVE COMMITTEE (NEC) MEETING OF DEMOCRATIC SOLIDARITY GROUP (DSG) HELD ON SATURDAY, 27 AUGUST, 2022 AT ORCHID HOTEL, ASABA, DELTA STATE
The National Executive Committee (NEC), after extensive deliberations on several issues bordering on the National Convention, a rift in the Peoples Democratic Party (PDP), build up to 2023 general elections, among other issues resolved as follows:
- NEC congratulated Alh. Atiku Abubakar, on his emergence as the PDP Presidential Candidate in a free, fair, transparent, and peaceful Presidential primary devoid of violence and unruly behaviour as witnessed in some other political parties in the country. They also commended Sen. David Mark-led Presidential Convention Committee for conducting one of the most peaceful and well organized PDP Presidential Convention.
- NEC congratulated His Excellency, Sen. Dr. Ifeanyi Okowa, the Governor of Delta State on his selection as the PDP Vice Presidential Candidate based on his humble disposition, track records of performance, and purpose-driven leadership through the SMART Agenda, saying Okowa remains the perfect choice for Atiku’s running mate.
- NEC lauded the Board of Trustees of the Peoples Democratic Party (PDP), the PDP Governors’ Forum, and other critical stakeholders of the party, for their effort and commitment to ensure that the post Presidential primary rift between the PDP Presidential Candidate, Alh. Atiku Abubakar and Governor of Rivers State, Nyesom will be resolved amicably before the commencement of electioneering campaigns in September. They warned against inciting comments and inflammatory statements by some leaders of the party and supporters from both camps, especially on national television and on pages of newspapers, saying such is capable of setting the house ablaze.
- NEC urged leaders at various organs of the party to allow the collective interest of members to prevail above parochial interest for the good of the country.
- On the postponed National Convention tagged A Day With Atiku-Okowa earlier scheduled to hold yesterday Saturday, August 27, 2022, in Asaba, Delta State, NEC resolved to work with Delta State Government on a new date that will be favourable to our Host, Alh. Atiku Abubakar and Chief Host, the Vice Presidential Candidate, His Excellency, Sen. Dr. Ifeanyi Okowa, respectively.
- NEC expressed confidence in the ability of the NWC to lead our Party to win the Presidential election, majority of state governors as well as the majority of seats in the National and State Assemblies, and therefore charged leaders of DSG at all levels, especially State Coordinators to reinforce effort in grassroots mobilization to the Unit level.
- NEC resolved that all PDP Governorship Candidates, Presidential and Vice Presidential Candidate, PDP National Assembly Principal Officers, some serving and National Assembly Candidates of PDP, Speakers of State House of Assembly, and some political appointees are automatic Patrons and Grand Patrons of DSG and the decision will be communicated to them accordingly through correspondence from the Secretariat.
- NEC urged the political class, especially those presently holding political offices and PDP Candidates in the coming 2023 general elections to be people’s-centric and accessible to the electorates and those they purported to represent, as they cannot work in isolation for their victory without votes from the electorates, as no responsible citizen is ready to sacrifice his time and resources working for leaders and representatives who are not accessible and do not have their interest at heart.
- NEC urged State Coordinators who are yet to constitute their State Executive Committee, Local Government Chapter, Ward, and Unit Executive Committee, respectively, to expedite action as the nationwide inauguration of State Chapters will commence in earnest.
- NEC also commended all leaders of DSG (National Executive Committee, Zonal Leaders, State Coordinators, Local Government Coordinators, and Ward Coordinators) and members for their sacrifices from 2018 till date, encouraged them not to relent effort as PDP will win the Presidential Election, Governorship elections in many states, more seats at both chambers of the National Assembly and State House of Assembly respectively in 2023. NEC charged them to expand their frontiers to accommodate more members especially those who are watching from the fence, assured that their efforts will pay off accordingly.
Comrade Unwana Assam
Director of Public Communications,
Democratic Solidarity Group, DSG